Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Trying To Help An Old Woman Out

About every other day I am in my 'chicken suit' on my hands and knees with my rubber gloves crawling into the Little Girls run to change the water and replenish their food.  The winter wasn't too bad when everything was frozen.  But let me just tell you that it is not pretty at all when it is wet in there.  Not to mention I am breaking my back.  I asked Mark if he could come up with something where I wouldn't need to climb in the run.  And he did.  Yesterday we did away with the cool galvanized steel waterer and feeder and added....some new chicken essentials.
 

A new sleek and clean gravity feeder.


The Little Girls love it.  No learning curve here.

I didn't even need to explain it to them.

And the new watering nipple system.

So I'm thinking they will take right to it.  NOT!  I even got in the run and showed them how to do it.  Gave three of them a hands on demo.  Nothing.  We let them out to stretch their wings and they ran right to the regular watering container.  We tried sticking one of the 'chicken sticks' in and dripping the water....they just drank it off the ground.  It has been almost 24 hours later and I haven't seen any takers.  I know that they are looking for water because they are all huddled up where the waterer once sat.  And by the looks of it now someone may have tried to perch on it.  Not sure what to do.

I finally was able to hang the chicken swing in the Big Girls Run.  And since Susie's foot is better I put the little roost in also.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment