Thursday, March 19, 2015

Date Night

You may think we are weird ad this is the craziest thing you have ever heard but Mark and I had date night at Carneys Feed Mill.  This date has been on the calendar for a few weeks and I can't tell you how excited I was that yesterday was finally the day.  I love going to Carneys.  They are awesome and they don't let on that all my questions are crazy ones.  They are use to crazy chicken ladies.
 
We are just about the first ones there...go figure.  There's dinner and dessert, drinks and baby chicks.
They really know how to throw a party/seminar.

So come to find out that Nancy is from Lesage. (We were able to talk to her after everything was over.  Nice lady.  Love her chicken stories and she is so chicken smart...PhD.)    She noticed my Marshall hoodie and made a comment.  Love it!  And the next best thing is that Bill Holder, the awesome chicken coop builder of The Little Girls coop, Southernbuckeye Coops, came in and sat right in front of us.  Small world.   Love that man!

Interesting facts:
 
The color of the ear lobes tell the color of eggs that the girls lay.  Red earlobes lay brown eggs.
It takes 24-26 hours to lay an egg.
The greatest number if yolks ever found in a single chicken egg was nine.
Chickens have their own language.  They give different alarm sounds according to what is threatening them.
Chickens run a temp of 102-102 normally.
 
I took notes so I wouldn't forget anything.  Then I read every word in the booklet they had for us.

When we were going in Mark said that he needed a new farmer hat.  Well. look what the lucky duck won!  I tried really hard to win something but it wasn't going to happen tonight.  Bill even won a really nice self waterer for his new birds.  That's when we say the Husky Girls and the boys, Matt and Justin.  We got to talk to them for a bit after the seminar was over.  They are homesteaders for sure.  Their next purchases are more chickens, two pigs and a cow!

I was talking to John Junior about Susie and her strange eggs.  He suggested oyster shells.  So today after everyone goes home we are going to make a really cool oyster shell center for the girls...a little Golden Corral if you will.
 
Before leaving I gave John Junior my name, number and names of the blogs I write and offered to help them out theirs.  So we will see what happens.

I messed up.  I should have warm my chicken hat.. What was I thinkning...I did manage to throw on my new chicken socks.  Love them!  Yes I am the crazy chicken lady!
 
And since it was date night Mark took me to Frisch's for a piece of hot fudge cake.  Yum!  One of my favorites.  Date night $12.00  I'm cheap but tons of fun!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment