Saturday, February 21, 2015

People Have Asked.....

...how I have kept my girls from freezing in this weather?  Do I heat the coops?  Do I bring them inside?  And I answer no to all the above.  I've done my research and have decided that when I was choosing birds I choose those that were cold tolerant.  I am afraid to keep a light on or heat the coop for fear it will burn down and we would have fried chicken.  So I just let nature do what nature does.  I do check to make sure the coops are vented properly so no condensation builds up on the Plexiglas.  I keep the chicken poop cleaned out and in the compost bins because it is filled with moisture.  So far so good even with the temps in the -20 without the wind chill added in.
 
They don't much like the snow.

I have seen several of them stand around on one foot.

For some reason they think they aren't walking in the snow if they are on the fence.  Don't tell them but they are still walking in the snow because the fence is covered.

Some of them even stand in the coop on one foot.







The little chicken whisperer is back.

He says that Esthelle is the hardest one to catch.



We threw some treats into the snow to lure them out.  That didn't last long.

Another fence walker.

Standing on one foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment