Friday, June 17, 2016

Had A Little Scare Last Night

I am in the car getting ready to pull out of the driveway to take Micahel and Wyatt to TKD and Micahel says that Mr.  Bill (our right neighbor) is running down the sidewalk.  I think he needs to talk to you.  Yep, sure enough.  He breathlessly tells me that one of my chickens got over the fence!  Freak-a-Zoid!  We go running to his backyard but no chicken to be found.  He tells me the first thing he did was to put the cat in.  Thank goodness.  So both if us start calling the chicken.  I have no idea which one it is and he says it is a big chicken.  I think he was referring to my girls.  In my head I'm thinking I can't imagine them being abe to fly anywhere...they are a little, let's say, fuller figured!  I climb the fence to see if I see any chickens on my side so I can figure out which one escaped.  No luck.  We head to the back gate and here comes one of Mark's girls toward us.  I try to call her to come to me but we all know that isn't going to happen.  At least we have narrowed it down to two of Mark's Barred Rocks...Leona or Amelia.  Now that we have located the chicken we begin to corral her to the back gate.  Ha!  I am trudging through poison ivy up to my knees.  And folks, that is not a good thing.  No siree!  finally, after several hair-raising minutes, she waltzes back through the gate like she had just been for an evening stroll.

So today we clipped their wings.  Just Amelia and Leona.  II watched the YTube video twice and made Mark watch it once.  How hard could it be?  It took three of us and the dog, two chicken herding sticks, a blue net that the yahoos collect things in, Michael's swinging stick and the area between the goat fence and the outside fence.  I am so glad there was no one to film this fiasco.  Once we captured them it was easy sailing.

Once you calm them down and spread their wings the flight feathers are easy to find.

She never tried to break away.  Good girl!

Evening them up so they look nice.

I am going to say they we did Amelia first.  I can't for the life of me find any distinguishing marks between the two.  So I guess they will be like identical twins their whole like.  Playing jokes on me constantly.

Leona was easier to catch once we mastered the learning curve.


It doesn't hurt them at all.  No blood.  It is just like cutting hair.

Leona getting a little love and encouragement after it is all over.  I think she was looking more on the line of some treats.

So now all is well on NottaLotta until someone else does something...fun!



1 comment: