Monday, October 6, 2014

Have An Idea

I have worried myself sick over this silly chicken that can't figure out where to lay her eggs.  And they are good large eggs.  I just hate to have to put them in the compost pile.  So I have messaged with someone that has chickens.  I have gotten ideas from other 'chicken farmers'.  I have read all my chicken books.  I decided that before sunup this morning I would go out to the coop and shew everyone out of the roost so I could put a piece of cardboard over the roost entrance.
 
Picture This....I am in my Marshall Kelly green hoodie with my bright red garden shoes (and I did have on pants but they weren't anything special).  Flashlight, piece of cardboard, and bright pink, almost glow-in-the-dark pink duct tape (because it will fix anything) in hand.  I go and open the door at the bottom of the roost.  There to my surprise were only three chickens.  I checked and the other three were out in the run on a high roost.  Simple to move three chicken out while you have a flashlight in one hand and a 'chicken stick' in the other...NOT!  They won't budge.  Not one inch!  It is like they are made of concrete!  I go in up to my armpit!  They still don't move.  Plan B...give them something good to eat to entice them out.  I cut a spaghetti squash in half and toss it in.  No movement.
 
So I am thinking they will be out soon, the sun is going to come up soon.  I have to go back in the house to get Doodles up for school. I get busy and forget all about my big plan until after the bus comes.  Now back to the problem I head.  By now the sun has been up for a little while and all chickens are out and clucking happily still eating the squash.  I check, just, knowing I will find another crushed egg...but no egg in the bottom of the roost to be found.  I check the nesting boxes and find one of the biggest eggs I have ever seen!  Perfect as can be!
 
I mean ONE OF THE BIGGEST!

According to my fancy dancy egg scale...she comes in as an extra large egg!
 
I thanked whatever chicken it was...hoping and praying our little problem has been solved.  I'll keep you updated!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment