Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Eggs Plopping Out Everywhere

Last week I did something I thought I would never do...I let Doodles get and egg off the nest and carry it into the house.  She was so excited she asked her mom if she could buy it.  So she paid $1 for 'her egg'.

It was a busy one in Wammyville today and I never had a spare minute to check the egg production.  So at 4:00pm, Luke and I headed out.  I knew we had about 6-7 layers so I took my egg basket because I learned my lesson yesterday.  I had a green egg in my pocket and when I bent over to pick up something our of the yard, it fell out and broke all over the sidewalk.  I could kick myself.  So I learned my lesson...carry the egg basket every time.  I love all the different colors.  The speckled ones are just eggs with raindrops on them.

I'm thinking I might be looking at my first chocolate egg from the Marans.

Check out the size of this baby!  Is there such a thing as a triple yolk?

I'm telling you, she's a big old egg!

And a double!  We have been getting lots of doubles!
 
Another good chicken story...after school the kids all like to check the nesting boxes.  I was in the house getting my shoes on when Doodles comes in all excited saying there was a chicken in the box laying an egg.  Right!  So Kelli, Cooper, Doodles and I head out to the Little Girls.  And sure enough, Dory was in the box about ready plop one out.  I got out my phone and got ready to take a video.  It wasn't but three pushes and a green egg plopped out.  I thought I got a video and Emmy was gong to be so jealous.  NOT!  In all the excitement I forgot to change the setting to video!  Dang it!  But I did get a great shot of a 2 second old egg.
 
Just went out in the dark with a flashlight to make a last chcek to geta current egg count...* for today.  And Dory was sleeping in on of the nesting boxes.  Might have to tackle that in a few days.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment