Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Emmy's Eagle Eye

A few nights ago Emmy noticed something wrong with Susie's beak.  It is split right down the center.
Never even heard of anything like that.
 
I quickly went to the Internet to research it.  What I found was good and bad.  Somesay trim it off.  Some say put used tea leaves in it and glue it back together.  Some saw just glue it with super glue.  Some say she will be fine.  And then other say she will die.  I was in a mess.  She is one of our favorite chickens,  if you can have a favorite.

Then I reached out to all my chicken people on FB. Carneys Feed Mill Inc, where we buy all our chicken needs, said not to worry about it too much.  As long as she is eating and drinking she should be fine.  William Holden, my chicken coop maker, sent out a plea for help.  Got lots of suggestions.  Got a note from one friend saying I should give her some India ink and have her write calligraphy.  Got lots of suggestions from Little Miami Farmers Market. Backyard Chickens and My Pet Chicken say to watch her and if she is doing all the normal chicken things she should be okay. Lester Peyton, my go to birdman, also said to watch her.  If it should get worse or bleed then I should worry.  So just in case, I check to see how close the nearest chicken vet is.  Low and behold, we have one in our little town!
 
So now we all are on Susie Watch.  .
 
This morning when I checked her she was fine.  Happy as ever.  Eating and drinking and doing all those things that chickens do.  I think she will be okay.  But just in case I am going to get some super glue.  Then to figure out how to glue it together...hmmmm?

No comments:

Post a Comment