Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Meet The Girls

Before introductng the girls I must give a little background on their names.  We chose these specific chickens because they would be good layers, cold tolerant, docile personalities and good around children...not to mention being able to learn tricks and become loved members of the family.  And speaking of family...my father-in-law grew up with chickens.  And 8 sisters.  He has been so excited since finding out we were going to become 'chicken farmers' that we thought it would be so fun and funny to name the chickens after each one of his sisters...so please meet my girls...

Effie-Grace.  We had to double up on one of the names to make it all work out.  Effie-Grace will grow up to be a Silver-laced Wyandotte. (I actually have no idea if this is the SLW or not...but for now she will look like this)
 
 Ethel actually named after my grandmother and Mark's grandmother.  She is a Silver Cuckoo Marans.  She is the one that will lay the dark chocolate looking eggs.

Estelle will grow up to be big and a little heavy on the bottom.  She will be a beautiful Austrolorp.

The two brown chicks are the only ones that I can actually identify.  This little brown beauty is a Welsummer named Inez (pronounced I-ness).

This little cutie-pa-tootie is named in honor of my dear father-in-law.  When all the daughter-in-laws, the granddaughters or anyone in general that got pregnant my father-in-law would asked to have the child named after him.  Well, Sweet Pap, your wish has finally come true...meet your namesake...Keithetta.

And last, but certainly not least, is Susie.  She will grow up to be a big old Barred Plymouth Rock.
 
I promise that once they get a little bigger and they have their feathers we will be able to tell them apart and I will post their close-ups again.

One day last week it was warm enough for them to go out into the run and explore the grass.  It was an exciting time for us.  Our neighbors all came over...even the other neighbor's cat had to find out what all the ruckus was about.








No comments:

Post a Comment