Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Only The Best For My Girls

We have had some mighty cold weather over the last week or so. This makes it very challenging. Keeping the girls in thawed water.  The first night I tried bringing the water in and letting it warm up over night.  One night I just took a screwdriver to it and chunked it away.  Yet another night I had to use hot water to thaw the ice so I could get it apart to refill.  Then I check Pinterest for ideas.  Saw one really cool one made of clay pots that would be awesome but the electrical part was a what?  Had no clue.  There was another one made out of a cookie tin that looked like we might be able to make it.  Mark was a no go on that one too. Then we checked retail stores in the area.  Tractor Supply said they had one but when we got there...you guessed it, none in the store.  We weren't the only ones looking either.  Mark went to Carney's after work the next day and bought two of these...we had to have two.  They must have been a little on the pricey side because he ripped the price sticker off.  Nothing to go for my girls is what he said.  And they work great!!!!!

 
We do have a little issue with extension cords all over the back yard.  But crossing my fingers and toes that everything holds out with all the weather that is supposed to be coming our way.
 
The rabbits are another story...their water freezes up just like that.  You should see me in my farm boots, heavy coat, gloves, hat and headlamp around 6AM every morning replacing their water.  I bring it in every night and thaw it our by the vent on the family room floor. This farming is hard work...but that's okay remember Andy says that I am half Amish.  :)
 
And today I talked a little bit to a lady near by that has microgoats!

1 comment:

  1. jc
    We have looked into everything also. Right now it is Christmas lights. But the talk is for a more permanent solution; a compose pile and drawing heat from it. Fresh Horse Manure.

    ReplyDelete