Monday, November 17, 2014

First Snow Experience

Well, that was a shocker.  Thank heavens we had already hooked up the water heaters in each coop!  We got 5 inches of snow last night.  A day to soon for me.  I love the snow but I wasn't ready for it.  This is what I saw at 6AM.

Got all bundled up and got on my best farm boots and then headed for the chickens.  I hoped and prayed that had survived the snow and weren't cold and wet.

Almost 5 inches of snow on the outside of the run screen and hardly anything inside.  I still haven't figured that one out.  Unless angels spread their wings and let the snow fall on their wings instead of the Big Girls.

I had to get Michael to help with the snow removal and tarp attachment.  I needed some extra hands.  I put his big blue scout tarp in the coop and he took the broom and swept the snow off.  Not much fell on the tarp...again...amazing!

Esthelle and Susie were the only two chickens that ventured out in the snow.  Then they headed for the Little Girls coop where it was dry.  It took both Michael and I to get them out.


It is actually very warm in the run and with the hay I put it I am hoping their feet will stay dry and not get frostbite.  So far so good...and I am still getting eggs...4 so far today...all from the Little Girls.  I think the Big Girls might be a little traumatized and stressed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment