Tuesday, February 18, 2014

We Are Almost A Farm

Hold on to your hats!  Get ready for a fun ride!  The chicken coop and run are being delivered next week by the owner of the company!  I can hardly contain myself!

So we should start at the beginning of this craziness....I guess you could say that it all started with brown eggs.  I love brown eggs!  I love how they look...not so much into the taste because I am not a real big egg eater.  I like a good crispy friend egg sandwich on a toasted white bread with mustard and lots of black pepper.  I love deviled eggs and egg salad.  But that is about as far as it goes.

I write a blog for an Amish CSA.  We get our vegetables, baked goods, soaps, jellies, fruits, and brown eggs from them...Cedarmore Farm in Hillsboro, OH.  I got to the farm about once a month and learn all I can about organic farming and the lifestyle of the Swartzentruber Amish.  Andy and Lizzie are very patient and kind to me.  The think I am some kind of crazy English.  But after about three years of visits Andy called me half Amish one day.  It really made my heart happy!  If you want to find out more about my adventures at the farm click here and it will take you to the most recent post.  I would encourage you to read the story in the beginning days of the blog as to how we got hooked up with heady other.  It is a good story!

Okay, back to the chickens.  Originally I tried to talk Mark into letting me get two little goats.  I didn't see that happening anytime some so I started talking about chickens.  I researched and ordered books from Amazon and read the words off the pages. I've talked to other "chicken farmers" in the neighborhood.  The Andy's have given me lots of information.  I even have a Pinterest board just for my chickens.  I know exactly what kinds of chickens I want to get. (Can't wait to write about that...it is going to be good).  I think I am ready!

I asked Mark (who will know be known as Chickie Pa) if he could help me come up with a clever name for the "farm"...we do have a dog, and a rabbit and will soon be adopting another rabbit...and we seem to grow little yahoos too!  After thinking about it for days, one day it came up...
Notta Lotta Farm.  I love it because it is just perfect!  Because we don't have lots of land but really like being outside, vegetable gardening, and flower gardening, feeding all the birds in the neighborhood, taking in stray animals....some of the things that happen on a farm.

Chickie Ma, that will be me, comes from Mark's side of the family.  He actually had a Chickie Ma growing up.  Mark's aunt lived  "up on the hill" and she was the original Chickie Ma.  Sweet Aunt Grace would love to know that we are going to have chickens and that her name will be carried on.  Mark 's mom and dad got me my egg gathering basket for Christmas.  My neighbor, Mr. Bill, gave me the best farm boots in the world.  My friends are gathering up chicken related things and surprising me with them.  I am so ready for this.

I got word today that the coop and run are just getting the finishing touches and will be delivered next week by the head of the company...Dan at Green Chicken Coop.  YEA!!!

Next step...ordering the chickens..and that will most definitely be another blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment