Friday, February 28, 2014

Chicks Have Been Ordered

I think Mark might be just as excited about this whole new adventure as I am.  Well, maybe not as excited.  I'm over the moon and back about it!

Mark found a really good website, My Pet Chicken, to order the chicks from.  And oh my goodness do they have tons of information.  I'll be doing a little midnight reading tonight.

We ordered  SIX chickens from My Pet Chicken.  I can't wait until they get here to take shots of them so Mark helped me download some pictures from the website to share.  I can hardly wait to see them.
 
 I have a notebook full of notes.  A new book to read coming soon.  And the chicks should be delivered to the Post Office on or around April 7th.  They will be a day old, alive in a box with holes in it, waiting at the PO for me to pick up. 

 Australorp chicks
 
Australorp hen
 
These hens are great layers, mellow, shy, and can adapt to any environment.  They lay medium brown eggs...summer 6 per week and winter 4-5 eggs a week.

 Barred Plymouth Rock chicks
 
 Barred Plymouth Rock hen
 
These birds are very social and great foragers.  They lay medium brown eggs...summer 5 a week and winter 3-4 a week.  Very low maintenance.  Nicknamed the Zebra Chicken.
 
 Buff Brahma chicks
 
 Buff Brahma hen
 
This will be the playmate of the yahoos.  Brahmas are known to be good choice for kids because they have a calm nature and sturdy construction.  they are quiet, docile, calm, and easily tamed.  I like the fancy feathers on their feet.  They lay brown eggs...3-4 per week.
 
 Silver Cuckoo Marans chicks
 
Silver Cuckoo Marans hen
 
She is a tailless hen with white legs.  Se will lay deep chocolate brown eggs to a copper collared egg...summer 3-4 a week and 2-3 a week in the winter.
 
 Welsumer chicks
 
Wilsumer hen
 
These hens are very friendly and thrifty in their eating habits.  They would rather free range thus making the healthier birds.  They are easily handled and smart birds also.  They lay dark brown eggs like the Marans.
 

 Silver Laced Wayandotte chick
 
Silver laced Wyandotte hen
 
Docile and friendly birds, the Wyandotte will be excellent for the kids.  I think the feathers look like silvered almonds.  They lay large medium brown eggs...summer 4-5 a week and 3 a week in the winter.

2 comments:

  1. Did you order all of these? I'm impressed. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan....we ordered one chick of each kind. Just wanted to put the pic up so I can figure out who is who when the come. Only six little chicks will be in my box.

    ReplyDelete